Dabbing involves vaporizing and inhaling cannabis concentrates, using a hot glass or hot metal surface. It is a preferred method of cannabis consumption for many people because concentrates as their name indicates, are super concentrated and much more potent than flower. Concentrates go a really long way, which is another beloved benefit of using them.
Also, the THC content of concentrates is much stronger than typical herb; 50-80% for concentrates vs. 15-25% for flower.
All About Dabbing Tools
No matter what form of concentrate you are using; wax, shatter, rosin, BHO, or something else, you will need some tools to get the job done right. Here are the standard dabbing tools:
- Dab Rig: A dab rig is a type of water pipe, similar to a bong with a fitting for a dab nail.
- Dab Nail: The nail is where you place the concentrate, it’s similar to a bowl for your bong. Quartz bangers are the most typical options.
- Carb Cap: The carb cap is an optional accessory that helps to regulate airflow.
- Dabber: A tool made specifically for dabbing, dabbers are used to apply the concentrate to the nail.
- Torch: Many people use mini-torches, like those used for making crème Brulee, to heat their concentrates.
- Dab Mat: An optional accessory, dab mats help keep your surface clean and free from stickiness.
- Timer: A timer can be helpful to consistently heat your nail over and over again.
Dosing Your Cannabis Concentrates and Oils: Start Small
Figuring out your quantities for dabbing can also present a bit of a learning curve, especially considering the variations between different extracts. Before you begin dabbing with a specific concentrate, make sure you know its potency. Always start small and increase incrementally to ensure you are comfortable through the process. For example, a small dose is about the size of a crumb. Tiny but mega-potent in terms of THC, especially if you are used to flower.
How to Dab
After you have your rig, concentrate, and accessories ready, with your dab ready on the dabber, it’s go-time. Whatever substance you are dabbing, whether it’s wax, oil, THC crystals, or shatter, these are the general steps to take for a great experience.
- Step 1: Turn the torch on and set the flame directly at the nail, heating it until it begins to turn red.
- Step 2: Once you get the nail hot, turn off the torch. Be aware that nails get very hot when heated, be careful handling them! Quartz nails should cool for about 45 seconds to ensure the surface isn't too hot. At this point, that timer may come in really handy.
- Step 3: Put the dab directly on the nail with the dabber tool and start to inhale very slowly. Rotate the dabber tip on the nail to help avoid wasting any oil on the dabber.
- Step 4: Use your carb cap to cover the dab to regulate the airflow and finish inhaling; don’t skip this step!
- Step 5: Exhale and savor the experience! You have just dabbed!
Dabbing rocks and if you’re not too familiar with all the techniques, we’ve got you covered. It can be a little overwhelming in the beginning, but once you get the basics down, you’ll be dabbing like a pro in no time. Enjoy the experience and be sure to check out the awesome selection at TakoGlass.com, friends!